Our aerodynamical design integrates structural design directly and efficiently, to achieve the lowest Levelised Cost Of Energy (LCOE). See here how our engineering design process works.
We are experts in designing innovative small and medium wind turbine configurations, including vertical axis wind turbines (VAWT). We specialise in technology innovation for large-scale and off-shore wind turbines. Our engineers are experienced in designing whole VAWT turbines, wind turbine blade joints, blade root transitions, rotor blade tips, winglets, sectional blades (extendable/ segmented rotor blades) & other related rotor technology.
A leading large-scale wind turbine manufacturers recently hired us for an extensive programme of research into a full scale demonstrator specimen at multi-megawatt scale. This involved concept selection, structural design (including detailed FEA), test specification and test results correlation. Satisfied, they have come back to us for more consultancy.
In the 10MW - 20MW range for offshore wind farms we recently carried out detailed rotor design studies. For this we evaluated upwind/ downwind and two- or three bladed configurations, design for high tip-speeds and related specialist issues (turbine blade erosion protection, high rotor blade flexibility).
Our Design for Wind Turbines:
· Aerofoil selection, modification and blade design from scratch, for HAWT's and VAWT's
· Main blade geometry design and aero-structural trade-offs
· Rotor blade root transition optimisation, thick aerofoils
· Rotor blade tip shaping
· Fine fairing and detailing of wind turbine blade master-model CAD-surfaces
· 2D-panel design methods, including inverse aerofoil design
· Conventional Blade Element Momentum (BEM) rotor analysis
· 3D-panel methods and volume-based CFD for wind turbines
These are just examples of our capabilities. Please contact us directly about any aerodynamical wind turbine design issues that are not covered here.